Sample Itinerary – with optional extras - You choose the focus – so Alan can make it happen.
Bowerbirds, Tree-Kangaroos and Platypus: explore their behaviours, idiosyncrasies and habitats with Alan.
This three day tour will provide a wonderful introduction to the spectacular birds of the Wet Tropics and adjacent savannah plus the mammals and scenery.
From stately Sarus Cranes and Cassowaries to Golden Bowerbirds see the birds and have their behaviours recounted. It is anticipated that about 200 birds, platypus, 5 macropods and 6 possum species will be encountered.
Led by Alan Gillanders, one of the north's renowned naturalists, you will learn about the land from the ground up. Photographic opportunities will abound. This tour is conducted in the comfort of a new Toyota Prado as a boutique concierge type service.Indicative Cost: $2020 per couple
• 2 breakfasts (or all meals / foodie upgrade – contact Alan with your preferences)
• Accommodation – Standard motel room with ensuite for the 2 nights in Yungaburra (luxury upgrades available – contact Alan)
• Entrance fees
• Crater Lake Cruise
Email Alan - email@example.com or ring +61 7 4095 3784 to customise your tour.
Pickup from Cairns accommodation
• Centenary Lakes
- Target birds include:- Striated Heron, Little Kingfisher, Papuan Frogmouth, Black Butcherbird, Yellow Oriole, Brown-backed Honeyeater, Rajah Shelduck
- Target birds include:- Red-tailed Black Cockatoo, Red-winged Parrot, Pale-headed Rosella, Olive-backed Oriole, White-cheeked Honeyeater
- Mammals:- Eastern Grey Kangaroo
• Granite Gorge
- Target birds include:- Squatter Pigeon, Tawny Frogmouth, Great Bowerbird, Yellow Honeyeater, Striated Pardalote
- Mammals:- Mareeba Rock-wallaby
- Reptiles:- Frilled-neck Lizard
• Driving across the Atherton Tablelands
- Target birds include:- Whistling Ducks, Sarus Crane, Brolga, Australian Bustard, raptors
Orientation in Yungaburra, check into hotel
• Bromfield Swamp to watch the cranes fly into roost
Return to hotel
Early rise and light breakfast
• Cathedral Fig
- Target birds include:- Chowchilla, Eastern Whipbird, Double-eyed Fig-Parrot, Yellow-breasted Boatbill, Pied Monarch, Spectacled Monarch, Black-faced Monarch, Red-backed
Fairy-wren, rainforest pigeons
• Lake Barrine Morning Tea
- Target birds include:- Victoria's Riflebird, Tooth-billed Bowerbird, Great-crested Grebe
• Cruise on Lake Barrine or further birding around Lake
• Mt Hypipamee area
- Target birds include:- Golden Bowerbird, Fernwren, Atherton Scrubwren, Crimson
Rosella, Blue-faced parrot Finch
Birding Kaban, Wondecla, Herberton
- Target birds include:- Blue-winged Kookaburra, Cotton Pygmy Goose, Yellow Thornbill,
Crested Shrike-tit, Red-backed Fairy-wren
• Spotlighting our way back to Yungaburra
- Target birds include:- six species of owls but chances not good on this route
a) gliders: Greater, Yellow-bellied, Sugar, Feather-tailed
b) possums: Common, Herbert River, Lemuroid & Green Ringtails, Common Brushtail (including coppery morph), Striped
c) bandicoot and Giant White-tailed Rat
Late return to Hotel
Early mop up of Tablelands bird species
• Etty Bay for Cassowary
• Cairns Esplanade
- Target birds for the day include:- Beach Stone Curlew, Great Knot, Terek Sandpiper,Cassowary, Crimson Finch, White-eared Monarch, Large-billed Gerrygone
VIEW a full northern Queensland bird list.
- Adventure touring – kayaking, biking or hiking (supported tours or hire equipment)
- Accommodation upgrade – stay at a luxury retreat / B&B / rainforest lodge
- All meals upgrade– tasting the tropical produce and products of the Tableland such as coffee, chocolate, cheese can be included for foodies.
|Duration: 3 days|
|Indicative Price: couple $2020|